20 March 2022

How to Become a Tanker Truck Driver?


Tanker truck drivers are in charge of transporting gas and petroleum products across the country. They can take their cargo to commercial gas stations or loading centers. Their job is crucial to ensure people can get to their jobs, schools, homes, etc., and as such are typically among the top earners for truck drivers.

How Do I Become a Fuel Tanker Driver?

There are numerous ways you can get into becoming a tanker truck driver. Usually, you can get into the job via any of the following routes:

  • Apprenticeship
  • Working towards becoming a tanker truck driver
  • Training with a training provider

Within this article, we’ll be looking at fuel tanker driver requirements and more. Read on for more information.


Some people get into tanker truck driving by applying for an intermediate apprenticeship as an LGV driver. Usually, apprenticeship hopefuls will need some form of high school qualification. For example, if you are based in the United Kingdom, you will need English and maths GCSE qualifications. In the United States, you would typically need a US High School diploma.


Some fuel tanker drivers start their careers as “crew” members. In this instance, you would accompany a qualified LGV or HGV driver while training to get your own license.

Private Training Providers and Other Routes

If you want to drive a fuel tanker, you may need to pay for private training to obtain your Cat 2 HGV license. You will also require a Certificate of Professional Competence, commonly referred to as a Driver CPC.

Hopefuls will also need to achieve an ADR license before they can drive a fuel tanker. ADR training certifies you are capable of carrying dangerous goods. In order to qualify for your ADR license, you’ll need to be 18 years of age or older, have at least 2 years of HGV driving experience, and hold a valid CPC card.

ADR training can involve learning the ropes from qualified drivers. This is a common route taken by drivers with a Cat 2 HGV license. However, if you are starting from scratch, you will need a CAT B car license, and the ADR training provider will train you for your CAT 2 HGV and ADR license simultaneously.

You can find ADR and LVR training providers in your area via a quick Google search. We recommend comparing numerous providers and considering their reviews, prices, and reputation, to ensure they fit your requirements.

    Start your new career today!

    Do you have an affiliation with the US Military?*

    Questions? Schedule a Call

    *According to the Terms and Conditions of the program